Nishat 1st Bangladeshi woman to climb Everest
Dhaka: A 31-year old government official on Saturday earned the repute of being the first Bangladeshi woman to climb atop the world`s highest peak, the Mount Everest.
"Nishat Majumdar hoisted the Bangladesh flag at the Everest peak this morning... She was accompanied by M A Muhith" who scaled the peak second time in two years, a foreign ministry spokeswoman said.
Majumdar, 31, an accounts officer of the state-run Dhaka Water and Sewerage Supply Authority (WASA), climbed the Everest two years after Musa Ibrahim conquered the Everest as the first Bangladeshi mountaineer.
Bangla Mountaineering and Trekking Club (BMTC) officials said Muhith and Majumdar set their feet on Everest`s 8,850- metre-high summit from the northern side of the mountain in Nepal at 9.30 am Bangladesh time.
Plan Bangladesh, an NGO that sponsored Majumdar`s trekking, in a statement said her scaling effort was dedicated to the Plan Bangladesh`s global campaign-- "Because I am a Girl" to be launched officially around the world on the International Day of the Girl Child on October 11.
BMTC founder Inam-al Haque said Majumder was also the first Bangladeshi woman to have conquered three Himalayan peaks higher than 6,000 metres.
She conquered Himalaya`s Mera Peak (6,653.78 metres) in 2007, Singchuli Peak (6,501 metres) in 2008 and Makalu Peak (8,493.3 metres) in 2009.
WASA officials said Majumder is an accounts officer of the state-run utility service and the second child of her parents.
Musa Ibrahim, the first Bangladeshi to conquer the Mount Everest on May 23, 2010 was followed by Muhith months later.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina congratulated Majumder on her success.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends