No one needs to tell us what to do: Rajapaksa
Colombo: Sri Lanka is ready to walk an extra
mile to establish permanent peace in the country through reconciliation and does not need any external guidance, President Mahinda Rajapaksa said Wednesday.
Addressing the Expo 2012 here, Rajapaksa said, "Sri Lanka
is in the midst of peace won at great sacrifice. We are
progressing on the path of peace and reconciliation. Our
government is committed to walk that extra mile to establish
permanent peace through reconciliation.
"That is our commitment to our people and no one has to
tell us what to do," he said in a veiled reference to the UN
Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution adopted last week that
censured Sri Lanka on its human rights record during
three-decade-long civil war.
The resolution asked Sri Lanka to work towards
expeditious implementation of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) recommendations.
Sri Lanka dubbed the resolution as devious Western nation
action to undermine the island at the behest of the pro-LTTE
The government has publicly vowed to ignore the
The president said the Expo 2012 was taking place after a
lapse of 15 years, "This gap of 15 years requires some
explanation. It is nearly half the period when this country
suffered the worst brutalities of terrorism. It is the period
when business turned away from us, because of the forces of
terror that had some support from certain countries".
Rajapaksa cited the doubling of foreign direct investment
in Sri Lanka as the dividends of his military campaign which
ended the LTTE`s separatist moves.
"This is why foreign investors are ready to place their
trust in Sri Lanka", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof