Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed: Gilani
London: There is insufficient evidence to arrest Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed, says Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani. He also believes that al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri is not in Pakistan.
"If you arrest him (Hafiz Saeed), that means he will be released by the courts. For the courts you need more evidence," telegraph.co.uk quoted Gilani as saying.
"You know the judiciary is completely independent in Pakistan."
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Toiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the 2008 Mumbai terror attack in which 166 people, including foreigners, were killed by 10 terrorists from Pakistan.
The US last month announced an award of up to USD 10 million for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Saeed and USD 2 million for Hafiz Adbul Rahman Makki, under the Rewards for Justice programme, for information on the two terrorists.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during her three-day trip to India earlier this month, said she had authorised the award for Hafiz Saeed who was responsible for the attack in Mumbai.
"It may take longer than we like but we will stand with you and trying to make that happen," she had said.
Gilani also said that Egyptian cleric Ayman al-Zawahiri, who became the al Qaeda chief after the killing of Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad town on May 02 last year, was not in his country.
"Why should I think he (Zawahiri) is in Pakistan?," he asked the Daily Telegraph.
"You have claimed that somebody has said that he is in Pakistan: if there is any information, please share with us," he was quoted as saying.
"We don`t think so," said Gilani in London when he was asked for his own view on whether the al Qaeda chief was in Pakistan.
Hillary had said that Zawahiri was in Pakistan.
"We want to disable al Qaeda. We believe Zawahiri is in Pakistan.”
"You have to go over those who are trying to kill you. You have to be focused on that," she said on May 07 during her India trip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’