Obama, Karzai discuss transition and reconciliatio
Washington: The US President Barack Obama has called up his Afghan counterpart and discussed the progress made in the transition and reconciliation process, including the opening of a Taliban office in Doha along with the 2014 elections, the White House said.
Describing the telephonic conversation as part of their regular consultations, the White House said yesterday that the two leaders discussed a range of issues, including security transition, preparations for Afghanistan`s 2014 elections, and Afghan-led peace and reconciliation efforts.
"Both the leaders welcomed Afghan security forces` increasingly assuming lead security responsibility. They also look forward to the spring 2013 milestone, which will mark a shift in ISAF`s mission from combat to support, as Afghan forces assume the operational lead across the country," the White House said.
Hamid Karzai has affirmed his support for an inclusive process of preparations for Afghanistan`s 2014 elections, and the two leaders noted that free, fair, and credible elections would be critical to Afghanistan`s future and continued international support.
Obama appreciated Karzai`s recent discussions in Doha with Qatar Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani regarding Afghan-led peace and reconciliation.
"Karzai welcomed the March 25 handover of the Parwan detention facility to Afghan control.
"The leaders committed that their teams would continue to keep dangerous detainees off the battlefield and work in partnership at the facility, consistent with Afghan sovereignty," the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump Inauguration LIVE: US President vows to eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of Earth