Obama, Karzai discuss transition and reconciliatio
Washington: The US President Barack Obama has called up his Afghan counterpart and discussed the progress made in the transition and reconciliation process, including the opening of a Taliban office in Doha along with the 2014 elections, the White House said.
Describing the telephonic conversation as part of their regular consultations, the White House said yesterday that the two leaders discussed a range of issues, including security transition, preparations for Afghanistan`s 2014 elections, and Afghan-led peace and reconciliation efforts.
"Both the leaders welcomed Afghan security forces` increasingly assuming lead security responsibility. They also look forward to the spring 2013 milestone, which will mark a shift in ISAF`s mission from combat to support, as Afghan forces assume the operational lead across the country," the White House said.
Hamid Karzai has affirmed his support for an inclusive process of preparations for Afghanistan`s 2014 elections, and the two leaders noted that free, fair, and credible elections would be critical to Afghanistan`s future and continued international support.
Obama appreciated Karzai`s recent discussions in Doha with Qatar Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani regarding Afghan-led peace and reconciliation.
"Karzai welcomed the March 25 handover of the Parwan detention facility to Afghan control.
"The leaders committed that their teams would continue to keep dangerous detainees off the battlefield and work in partnership at the facility, consistent with Afghan sovereignty," the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Galaxy celebrates star-birth; NASA's Hubble captures skyrocket-like display! - See pic
- Two-finger test conducted on Motihari gang-rape victim despite court's ban, says NCW report
- Summer Olympic 2016: Maria Sharapova awaiting CAS approval for Rio participation
- Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma team up with India's first transgender band
- Matt Damon is back, check out terrific 'Jason Bourne' poster!