Over 40 activists detained in Nepal over protest
Kathmandu: A number of human rights activists
were detained on Monday after they held a demonstration in front
of the Constituent Assembly to protest the move to grant
general amnesty to those involved in serious rights violations
during the country`s decade-long conflict.
Over 40 right activists were detained after they tried to
enter the prohibited zone in the government secretariat,
police spokesperson Dhiraj Pratap Singh said.
They were staging a sit-in under the `Civil Campaign
against General Amnesty`, a protest they had launched opposing
a bill that would enable the government to grant blanket
amnesty to those implicated in several cases of rights
violation during the armed conflict.
The campaigners had submitted a memorandum to Prime
Minister Baburam Bhattarai, Constituent Assembly Chairman
Subash Nembang, Nepali Congress President Sushil Koirala and
CPN-UML Chairman Jhala Nath Khanal yesterday.
"We found the government turning a deaf ear to our concern
towards the issue, thus, we were compelled to stage a peaceful
sit-in protesting the same," Dinesh Tripathi, a lawyer said.
The government cannot initiate the process of pardoning
those who were convicted during the conflict for committing
serious human rights violations, he added.
The activists also demanded immediate formation of a Truth
and Reconciliation Commission to provide transitional justice
to the conflict-period victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai