Pak boosts border security for smooth Afghan polls
Islamabad: Pakistan on Saturday said that its army has taken several key measures to boost security on the restive border with Afghanistan to facilitate a peaceful presidential election in the war-torn country.
Polling is underway in Afghanistan in a run-off between the two leading candidates Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani.
Military spokesman Major General Asim Saleem Bajwa said that Pakistan had deployed additional troops on the Afghan border to reinforce existing security arrangements for conduct of peaceful elections in Afghanistan.
"A number of measures have been taken for the purpose after due deliberation and coordination with Afghan security forces," he said.
He said while ensuring a smooth flow of Afghan refugee voters from Pakistan, checking by immigration staff at crossing points has been enhanced and patrolling has been increased in areas close to the border.
"Strict checking measures have been taken on routes from mainland leading towards border areas. Communication at Border Coordination Centres on both sides has also been enhanced and a hotline contact has been established between the two Military Operations directorates," he said.
Additionally, aerial surveillance is also being carried out to check any untoward cross border movement.
Afghan officials often blame Pakistan for the volatile security situation in their country.
Pakistan has denied such allegations, saying that it wants a peaceful Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble