Pak couple murdered in honour killing case
Lahore: In yet another case of honour killing, a young woman and her husband have been brutally murdered for marrying against the wishes of her family in Punjab, police said today.
According to police, Zaheer Iqbal of Ashraf Town Chakwal, some 300 kilometres from here, had an affair with Mariam Bibi of neighbouring town Karar. Both were in their early 20s.
Zaheer`s family sent marriage proposal to her family but they did not agree to it. About two weeks ago Zaheer and Mariam contracted court marriage.
The girl`s family got a kidnapping case registered against Zaheer, his parents and brothers. A local Urdu daily`s Chakwal correspondent told PTI that the brothers of girl yesterday traced the whereabouts of the couple and brought them to their locality.
The couple was subjected to severe torture by her brothers - Yasir and Nasir – and their accomplices. "The culprits?tied the couple and cut the legs of Zaheer and arms of Mariam with an axe before shooting them down," he said.
The killers then dumped the bodies in Chak Cocka near Nila police station and fled, he said. Police shifted the bodies to the district headquarters hospital Chakwal for autopsy.
Chakwal District Police Officer Dr Moeen Maqsood told PTI over phone that Mariam Bibi`s brothers along with their accomplices shot the couple dead for going against their wish.
He, however, denied that the accused had cut the legs and arms of Zaheer and Mariam, respectively. "The accused?had killed the couple with firearm?and did not cut their body parts," he claimed.
The DPO said the police had arrested two accused in the case so far. "Raids are underway to arrest the remaining accused," he said.
In May this year, 25-year-old Farzana Parveen was allegedly stoned to death outside the Lahore High Court (LHC) by more than two dozen people, including her father and brothers, for marrying against her family`s wishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark