Pak couple murdered in honour killing case
Lahore: In yet another case of honour killing, a young woman and her husband have been brutally murdered for marrying against the wishes of her family in Punjab, police said today.
According to police, Zaheer Iqbal of Ashraf Town Chakwal, some 300 kilometres from here, had an affair with Mariam Bibi of neighbouring town Karar. Both were in their early 20s.
Zaheer`s family sent marriage proposal to her family but they did not agree to it. About two weeks ago Zaheer and Mariam contracted court marriage.
The girl`s family got a kidnapping case registered against Zaheer, his parents and brothers. A local Urdu daily`s Chakwal correspondent told PTI that the brothers of girl yesterday traced the whereabouts of the couple and brought them to their locality.
The couple was subjected to severe torture by her brothers - Yasir and Nasir – and their accomplices. "The culprits?tied the couple and cut the legs of Zaheer and arms of Mariam with an axe before shooting them down," he said.
The killers then dumped the bodies in Chak Cocka near Nila police station and fled, he said. Police shifted the bodies to the district headquarters hospital Chakwal for autopsy.
Chakwal District Police Officer Dr Moeen Maqsood told PTI over phone that Mariam Bibi`s brothers along with their accomplices shot the couple dead for going against their wish.
He, however, denied that the accused had cut the legs and arms of Zaheer and Mariam, respectively. "The accused?had killed the couple with firearm?and did not cut their body parts," he claimed.
The DPO said the police had arrested two accused in the case so far. "Raids are underway to arrest the remaining accused," he said.
In May this year, 25-year-old Farzana Parveen was allegedly stoned to death outside the Lahore High Court (LHC) by more than two dozen people, including her father and brothers, for marrying against her family`s wishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet