Pak court orders demolition of a minaret, dome of Ahmadi mosque
Lahore: A Pakistani court has ordered the demolition of a minaret and dome of an Ahmadi mosque, where over 50 people were killed in an attack by terrorists two years ago.
Additional Session Judge Naeem Ahmed further directed authorities to remove the `Kalma` (Islamic profession of faith) from the mosque in Ghari Shahu area of Lahore.
The judge issued the directives yesterday in response to a petition filed by Badr Alam, an assistant of lawyer Ismail Qureshi, who is known for his anti-Ahmadi views.
The judge gave his verdict under provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Munawar Ali Shahid, a spokesman for the minority Ahmadi sect, told PTI it was surprising that the judge issued the order without hearing arguments by the lawyer representing the Ahmadis.
Alam, in his petition, asked the judge to direct authorities to remove the Kalma from the front of the mosque, known as Darul Zikr, and demolition of the minaret and dome in line with the Prohibition and Punishment Ordinance of 1984.
He contended that the minaret was similar to those found in regular mosques and could not be part of Darul Zikr as Ahmadis are not Muslims.
Shahid said the mosque in question was built in 1951 and the legislation cited by Alam was introduced in 1984, and thus did not apply to this case.
He said the Ahmadi community would challenge the decision in the Lahore High Court.
Ninety-five people were killed and over 100 injured when heavily armed terrorists stormed two Ahmadi mosques at Garhi Shahu and Model Town areas of Lahore on May 28, 2010.
While Ahmadis consider themselves Muslim, they were declared non-Muslim in Pakistan in 1974, and in 1984 they were legally barred from proselytising or identifying themselves as Muslims.
Over 1.5 million Ahmadis live in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire