Pak denies Gilani meeting with Taliban in Qatar
Islamabad: Pakistan Thursday refuted media reports suggesting a meeting between Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and Afghan Taliban representatives had been planned in Qatar during his three-day visit which concluded a day ago.
According to Pakistan`s foreign ministry spokesman Abdul Basit, the visit only focused on bilateral relations between Pakistan and the Gulf state.
"A misconception was created that the prime minister had a plan to hold meeting with Taliban," Xinhua quoted the spokesman as saying during weekly press briefing.
Some media reports quoted unnamed Pakistani officials as saying that Gilani would discuss the Taliban office in Qatar and their talks with the US.
Neither a meeting between Gilani and representatives of Afghan Taliban was held in Qatar nor any such meeting was in schedule, he said.
Gilani`s visit to Doha exclusively focused on bilateral relations with Qatar, though regional situation and peace in Afghanistan were also involved in the meeting between the prime minister and Qatari officials, Basit said.
The American diplomats had briefed Pakistani officials on their contacts with Afghan Taliban, he said but declined to confirm meeting between Taliban and the US Special Envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan Marc Grossman in Qatar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?