‘Pak govt, military had a hand in catching Osama’
Islamabad: A year after Pakistan was left embarrassed by the unilateral US raid that killed Osama bin Laden, Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar on Wednesday said Pakistani government and forces "had a hand" in catching him.
He said the al-Qaeda chief was traced through a mobile phone SIM that was found by Pakistani intelligence.
The SIM that was used to track bin Laden was "found lying somewhere" by intelligence operatives, Mukhtar said.
He contended that the Pakistan government and military "had a hand" in the operation against the al Qaeda chief.
The SIM was used rarely and only for brief durations, Mukhtar told BBC Urdu.
"The Pakistan government and our forces had a hand in catching him (bin Laden and) in (gathering) information," Mukhtar told the media outside parliament.
Pakistan would "transfer" whatever it information it had to the US, he said.
Mukhtar acknowledged that the US did not inform Pakistan about the raid against bin Laden but said "we were working together".
Bin Laden was killed by US Navy SEALS in a compound located a stone`s throw from the elite Pakistan Military Academy in the garrison town of Abbottabad on May 2 last year.
US officials have said in the past that they were able to zero in on Bin Laden by tracking the mobile phone of one his Pakistani couriers, wjo was killed in the raid.
Western media reports have quoted unnamed Pakistani intelligence officials as claiming that they provided details of the SIM that led to the courier.
Mukhtar told BBC that the US and Pakistan had an agreement whereby any evidence on terrorist activities in Arabic or English gathered by Pakistan was handed over to the US while anything in Urdu found by the US was handed over to it.
The material found at Bin Laden`s compound is being examined by the Pakistani military, he said adding CDs found within the house were being decoded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees