Pak man dies after being burnt alive over robbery
Lahore: A 30-year-old man in Pakistan`s Punjab province was allegedly burnt alive on the order of a panchayat over allegations of his involvement in a robbery, his relatives said.
Mohammad Sikander, a labourer, was doused with kerosene and set alight on the order of a village council in Chiniot city, 100 km from Lahore, two days ago after he was accused of committing a robbery. He died today in a hospital.
According to Sikander’s family, he was caught while allegedly robbing a house.
Instead of handing him over to police, the local panchayat decided to punish him by "burning him alive", Sikander`s relatives said.
However, police officials denied the family`s allegations.
They said panchayat meetings were not held to consider petty issues like thefts.
"We are investigating the matter to ascertain whether he set himself on fire or was burnt by some other persons," a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'