Pak PM says Kashmir poses threat to world peace
Islamabad: Arguing that the unresolved Kashmir issue poses a threat to the region and the world, Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf on Wednesday asked the international community to push India to resolve the lingering dispute.
"The Kashmir issue is not only a threat for the peace and prosperity of South Asia but also for the entire world and the world should take notice of this vital issue and pressurise India to resolve this lingering issue on the UN agenda according to the wishes of the people of Kashmir," he said.
Addressing an official function organised tonight to mark Kashmir Solidarity Day, which has been observed by Islamabad on February 5 since 1990, Ashraf said Pakistan has always supported dialogue with the Indian government as wars are not a solution to problems.
Pakistan wants "good and peaceful relations with all its neighbours", he told a gathering of political leaders and federal ministers.
Noting that UN resolutions called for a plebiscite in Kashmir, he alleged India had "forcefully occupied" the region and was ruling it against the wishes of the Kashmiri people.
Ashraf was also quoted by state-run Radio Pakistan as saying that "unfortunately India demonstrated intransigence for resolution" of the Kashmir issue.
He claimed that a "plebiscite is the right way to give the Kashmiris their right to self-determination".
The premier`s remarks marked the first time any top Pakistani leader has raised the issue of plebiscite in recent years.
However, observers said his comments could have been made with an eye on the upcoming general election.
Ashraf further said the Kashmir dispute was a human rights issue.
"My message to the world is that Kashmir is not an issue between Pakistan and India but it is the issue of 1,600,000 Kashmiri people - a human issue which needs resolution according to the wishes of the people of Kashmir," he contended.
He assured the Kashmiris of Pakistan`s moral, political and diplomatic support at all regional and international forums.
President Asif Ali Zardari and PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari too raised the Kashmir issue at every forum and stood by the Kashmiris in their movement, he added.
The gathering was also addressed by Minister for Kashmir Affairs Manzoor Wattoo and Parliamentary Kashmir Committee chairman Maulana Fazlur Rehman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe