Pak police kill man in `fake` encounter: TV footage
Lahore: Pakistani news channels have beamed footage from closed-circuit TV cameras that purportedly show a young man being killed by police in a fake gun battle here.
The CCTV footage, aired last night on several channels, showed a young man clad in `shalwar-qameez` running and several armed policemen chasing him.
The policemen shot the man dead and then placed a pistol near his body to back up their claim that he was a gun-toting robber killed during a shootout.
Punjab Police chief Mohammad Habibur Rehman announced that a departmental inquiry would be conducted into the incident.
"I don`t believe in fake encounters and police officials will be taken to task if they are found guilty in this shooting," he said.
DIG (Operations) Tahir Rai said the incident occurred on Friday after two armed robbers snatched a motorcycle from a man near Gulberg Market.
The robbers escaped after seeing a policeman, who immediately alerted the Ghalib Market police station.
When the suspects reached Hali Road, they were confronted by some policemen and this led to an exchange of fire, Rai said.
One of the suspects managed to flee while the other suffered a gunshot wound and ran away after leaving the stolen motorcycle behind.
Rai said the alleged robber then entered Khalid Clinic on Guru Mangat Road and asked for treatment, but ran away when policemen reached the spot.
The policemen chased the alleged robber and killed him in a shootout, Rai contended.
The alleged robber was identified as Moshin Abbas, a resident of Chakwal district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof