Pak SC criticizes govt for failing to take action against Musharraf
Islamabad: The Supreme Court of Pakistan has said that the federal government has failed to take action against former president Pervez Musharraf for violating the Constitution.
A two-member bench, headed by Justice Jawad S Khawaja, observed that the federation had so far taken no action against the former military dictator who had been declared a usurper by the apex court on July 31 2009 and against whom the Senate had unanimously passed a resolution on January 23 2012, calling for his arrest whenever he returned to Pakistan, reports The Express Tribune.
The bench observed that the federal government had apparently failed to take any action against Musharraf even after he returned to the country last month.
The bench also directed Attorney General Irfan Qadir and Acting Law Secretary Sohail Qadeer Qureshi to submit a detailed response with regard to the steps taken by the federation to initiate criminal proceedings against Musharraf.
Meanwhile, Musharraf`s counsel Ahmed Raza Kasuri filed an application asking for the setting up of a full court bench, minus Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, to hear the petitions against his client. Earlier, the Supreme Court office had asked him to file separate applications for each of the five petitions.
In his reply, Kasuri stressed that the apex court could not order the trial of the former president, as only the federal government could initiate such proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof