`Pak second-largest troop contributor to UN`
Islamabad: Pakistan remains the second-largest contributor of troops in UN peacekeeping activities, the Pakistani military said Sunday. Bangladesh is the biggest contributor and India is third after Pakistan.
Pakistan has so far contributed 142,452 soldiers in UN missions across the world, Xinhua reported citing a statement from the Army.
Up till now, 128 Pakistani peacekeepers -- 10.24 percent of the total fatalities from the UN -- have sacrificed their lives in the noble cause of helping humanity, building peace and bringing stability across the world.
At present, 9,461 Pakistani peacekeepers are deployed in seven different UN missions. This constitutes 9.71 percent of the total UN peacekeepers strength.
Pakistan`s journey with UN peacekeeping operations began in 1960 when it first deployed its troops in Congo. The country has taken part in 41 UN peacekeeping missions, the statement said.
Since 1948, there have been 64 UN peacekeeping operations. Around 130 nations have contributed personnel at various times, and 114 are currently providing uniformed peacekeepers, according to the UN.
Till March 31, 2011, there were 15 peacekeeping operations under way with a total of 122,843 personnel. Total fatalities among the peacekeepers stand at 2,856.
The International Day of UN Peacekeepers was observed May 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview