Pak set to produce nuclear safety equipment locally
Islamabad: Having formally received a go-ahead from the country`s nuclear regulatory body to manufacture class I nuclear safety equipment, Pakistan is set to feature in the list of countries certified to produce such equipment locally.
The Heavy Mechanical Complex (HMC) III in Taxila, the specialised workshop operating under the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) which produces spare parts for nuclear plants and other related equipment, was issued the licence by the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority (PNRA), reports The Express Tribune.
"Pakistan has constantly been under international embargoes. Local production of parts would not only help them keep up the required maintenance of nuclear plants but it would also improve the existing plants," said PNRA Chairman Engineer Anwar Habib.
The HMC III will produce equipment related to core nuclear islands that are directly linked to controlling and maintaining multiple activities in a nuclear reactor.
"It is indeed a happy moment for Pakistan. We will ensure that quality is not compromised in haste or achieving any production target," said Habib.
He said the HMC-III already possesses the certification to manufacture class II and III nuclear safety equipment, which was obtained some six years ago.
However, class I equipment deals with parts like tanks, vessels, cooling systems, steam generators, etc and any compromise over quality at this stage cannot be tolerated, Habib added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'