Pakistan, India should cut defence spending: Nawaz Sharif
Islamabad: Calling for an end to the arms race in the region, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has asked India to join Pakistan in taking steps to cut defence expenditure.
Regional peace will remain under threat until there is a balance in armament...We want peace and for that, both countries must put a cap on their defence spending, Sharif said.
No one, apart from common people, has suffered from the wars between us,? Sharif was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune during an interaction with a delegation of the Pakistan Journalists Forum in Jeddah yesterday.
The premier, currently in Saudi Arabia on a private visit, said he would draft a "comprehensive policy" on Kashmir and other issues after consulting all political parties.
Replying to a question on Afghanistan, Sharif said Pakistan will adopt a policy of "non-interference" while dealing with its neighbour.
Pakistan will not support any particular group in Afghanistan at the expense of others, he said. Islamabad supports the Doha process because it is expected to serve regional and international interests, he added.
In response to another question, Sharif said a commission is investigating allegations against former military ruler Pervez Musharraf. He said he would refrain from commenting on the matter till the commission submits its report.
However, Sharif said he did not believe in the "politics of revenge". Sharif`s previous government was ousted during a military coup led by Musharraf in 1999. The former dictator was arrested shortly after he returned to Pakistan after several years in self-exile. He is currently facing charges in several cases, including the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto.
Pakistan was confronted by several challenges like terrorism, sectarianism, power shortage, economic woes and depleted resources, Sharif said. These challenges would be solved with mutual cooperation, he said.
Sharif said Pakistan will have to adopt the rule of law, end the menace of terrorism and extremism, and create a new political culture in order to be a "civilised nation".
Talking about Pakistan`s energy crisis, Sharif said it was sad that a nuclear power was beset by chronic electricity shortages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly