Pakistan: Shakil Afridi appeals against conviction
Peshawar: Lawyers representing Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi, who was sentenced to 33-year imprisonment on charges of treason, have appealed against his conviction.
Dr Afridi was sentenced after he was found ``guilty`` of helping the Central Intelligence Agency track down al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, who was killed on May 02 last year by US troops after a raid in his mansion in Abbottabad.
Dr Afridi had set up a fake vaccination programme to obtain DNA samples to identify bin Laden. However, Pakistan had recently claimed that he was convicted not for working for the CIA, but for his alleged ties with banned terrorist group Lashkar-e-Islam (LeI).
According to the Daily Times, the appeal, filed by his brother Jamil Afridi through lawyers, said the allegations were "false, concocted and without foundation". It said Afridi had "no association" with LeI and that the conviction should be dismissed because he had no opportunity of defence or fair trial.
Lashkar-e-Islam, led by Mangal Bagh, is widely feared for kidnappings and extortion in the tribal district of Khyber, where Afridi worked for years.
The appeal said Dr Afridi was kidnapped by LeI in 2008 and was ordered to pay Rs 1 million. The court said Dr Afridi paid Rs 2 million to the faction and helped to provide medical assistance to terrorist commanders in Khyber.
The terrorists, on the other hand, have denied any links to Dr Afridi, saying they fined him for over-charging patients, and have threatened to kill him.
The Peace Movement, a civil society group that has taken up Dr Afridi`s case, said the appeal was filed with the Peshawar commissioner who hears appeals against judgments meted out under Pakistan`s tribal justice system.
Dr Afridi`s arrest has worsened Pakistan`s already precarious relationship with the US, which has decided to cut USD 33 million from their aid to Pakistan – USD 1 million for each of the 33 years of Dr Afridi`s imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered