Pakistan Taliban appoint Asmatullah Shaheen as interim chief
Islamabad: The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have appointed Asmatullah Shaheen as their interim leader after differences emerged among the ranks on a successor to Hakimullah Mehsud, who was killed in a US drone strike, local media quoted unidentified sources as saying on Sunday.
Earlier reports said that Khan Syed alias Khalid Sajna had been appointed as the new chief of TTP, but a spokesman from Pakistan Taliban`s South Waziristan chapter later denied the report and said the new chief of TTP will be elected in the next couple of days, Xinhua reported citing local media.
Asmatullah Shaheen, also known as Asmatullah Bhittani, is a leader of TTP in Pakistan`s northwestern tribal region of South Waziristan, and he will be in charge of running the daily affairs of TTP, said the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Hungary's Orban says "obvious connection" between terrorism and migration
- Parineeti Chopra is not part of 'Mubaraka'
- ITC Q1 net profit up 10% to Rs 2,385 crore
- 'Kabali' fervour: Son-in-law Dhanush releases special poster, calls Rajinikanth 'The King'
- Over 5.48 lakh people affected due to floods in states: Govt