Pakistan Taliban appoint Asmatullah Shaheen as interim chief
Islamabad: The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have appointed Asmatullah Shaheen as their interim leader after differences emerged among the ranks on a successor to Hakimullah Mehsud, who was killed in a US drone strike, local media quoted unidentified sources as saying on Sunday.
Earlier reports said that Khan Syed alias Khalid Sajna had been appointed as the new chief of TTP, but a spokesman from Pakistan Taliban`s South Waziristan chapter later denied the report and said the new chief of TTP will be elected in the next couple of days, Xinhua reported citing local media.
Asmatullah Shaheen, also known as Asmatullah Bhittani, is a leader of TTP in Pakistan`s northwestern tribal region of South Waziristan, and he will be in charge of running the daily affairs of TTP, said the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt