A US drone strike killed Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud, who was thought to be in his mid-30s, on Friday. Here are some important facts about Hakimullah Mehsud:
1. Hakimullah Mehsud has been reported killed many times before only to emerge alive later. A senior Pakistani Taliban commander has, however, confirmed Hakimullah’s killing this time around. Mehsud’s body, recovered from his destroyed vehicle, was "damaged but recognisable".
2. Hakimullah Mehsud belonged to the Ishangi, the sub-tribe of Mehsud.
3. Eldest of three brothers, Hakimullah was first named Jamshed. However, he was named as Zulfiqar Ali when he became the spokesperson for former TTP chief Baitullah Mehsud. After Baitullah’s killing in a drone strike in 2009, he came to be known by the name, Hakimullah Mehsud.
4. Hakimullah had studied till class eight at a government middle school for boys in Kotkai. He had also studied in a madrassa.
5. Before joining the Taliban, Hakilmullah used to run a small shop in Kotkai area of South Waziristan.
6. Hakimullah was very fond of cricket. His hobbies included speeding and firing. His ability to handle a Kalashnikov and a Toyota pick-up were quite famous within the Taliban.
7. Known to be a fierce and ruthless leader, Hakimullah had a USD 5 million US reward on his head. In January 2010, he appeared in a video alongside a Jordanian who is believed to have blown himself up, killing seven CIA agents in Afghanistan.
8. According to Taliban militants, Hakimullah always ensured he took revenge from his opponents.
9. Several Taliban militants regarded Hakimullah as their best leader so far.
10. Hakimullah had fondness for media. He was a regular caller to the BBC`s Urdu Service.
Compiled by: Kamna Arora