Pakistan to release 315 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistan will release 315 Indian fishermen at the Wagah land border crossing on Thursday, official sources said on Tuesday.
The fishermen are currently being held at a jail in Karachi, and they will be freed and sent to Lahore to be handed over to Indian authorities, sources told PTI.
Pakistan and India arrest scores of fishermen every year on charges of violating territorial waters.
Pakistani officials say over 150 Pakistani fishermen are currently in Indian prisons.
Since India and Pakistan resumed their peace process last year after a gap of over two years after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, the two sides have taken several steps to speed up the release of prisoners held in each other`s prisoners.
The two countries have released scores of prisoners, a majority of them fishermen.
The two sides are working on an arrangement for the speedy repatriation of fishermen detained for inadvertently crossing the maritime boundary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof