Pakistan: Who is Makhdoom Shahabuddin?
Islamabad: Little known Makhdoom Shahabuddin, Pakistan People’s Party`s nominee for the Prime Minister’s post, is a strong loyalist of the Bhutto family and hails from a revered spiritual family in south Punjab.
Shahabuddin, 65, faces a tough road ahead as he will lead the fractious coalition government at a time when it`s engaged in a tug-of-war for supremacy with both the military and the judiciary.
Born in a revered spiritual family in Rahim Yar Khan district of Punjab, Shahabuddin, who was the federal textile minister under Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, started his political career with Pakistan Muslim League-N in 1988 when he unsuccessfully fought the National Assembly elections.
His father Makhdoom Hamiduddin Hakim Suhrawardi was among founding members of PPP and a close aide of former president Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto.
Shahabuddin later joined PPP under Benazir Bhutto`s leadership and served as her finance minister during 1993-96 after winning a National Assembly seat from Rahim Yar Khan.
The senior PPP leader, who belongs to the Seraiki belt in the southern part of Punjab province, also held health portfolio in Gilani`s cabinet since 2008.
Shahabuddin`s appointment to the top post is also significant in view of the PPP`s plans to carve a new province out of the southern part of Punjab.
Last year, Shahabuddin was tipped to be sworn in as the foreign minister but lost the race to Hina Rabbani Khar.
Like Gilani, Shahabuddin belongs to the spiritual family that is revered and is the custodian of the mausoleum of Sufi saint Shah Rukn-e-Alam in Multan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing