Pakistani clerics seek military action to eliminate Taliban
Islamabad: Muslim scholars from different schools of thought have asked the Pakistani military to eliminate the Taliban, saying the civil-military leadership should take bold decisions on the issue.
Shia and Sunni groups observed Friday as "Anti-Taliban Day" across the country to show solidarity with the armed forces fighting terrorists.
The groups, including Pakistan Sunni Tehreek (PST), Sunni Ittehad Council (SIC), Majlis-e-Wahdat-ul-Muslimeen (MWM) and Tahafuz-Namoos-e-Risalat Mahaz (TNRM), held small rallies in different parts of the country.
The clerics from different schools of thought demanded the government should initiate a massive military action to flush out the Taliban and asked the civil-military leadership to make bold decisions, The Nation daily reported.
They also criticised peace talks with the Taliban and described negotiations with militants as unconstitutional.
The Pakistan government recently suspended a peace process with the Taliban after a militant faction executed 23 troops abducted in 2010. Since then, combat jets have carried out air strikes on militant hideouts in the country`s northwest, killing some 100 terrorists.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 23: Delhi Daredevils vs Gujarat Lions — As it happened...
- Mother of all apps? Narendra Modi government is coming up with new app UMANG - It houses 200 apps!
- BJP won't win a single seat if elections are held in Delhi: CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement