Pakistani clerics seek military action to eliminate Taliban
Islamabad: Muslim scholars from different schools of thought have asked the Pakistani military to eliminate the Taliban, saying the civil-military leadership should take bold decisions on the issue.
Shia and Sunni groups observed Friday as "Anti-Taliban Day" across the country to show solidarity with the armed forces fighting terrorists.
The groups, including Pakistan Sunni Tehreek (PST), Sunni Ittehad Council (SIC), Majlis-e-Wahdat-ul-Muslimeen (MWM) and Tahafuz-Namoos-e-Risalat Mahaz (TNRM), held small rallies in different parts of the country.
The clerics from different schools of thought demanded the government should initiate a massive military action to flush out the Taliban and asked the civil-military leadership to make bold decisions, The Nation daily reported.
They also criticised peace talks with the Taliban and described negotiations with militants as unconstitutional.
The Pakistan government recently suspended a peace process with the Taliban after a militant faction executed 23 troops abducted in 2010. Since then, combat jets have carried out air strikes on militant hideouts in the country`s northwest, killing some 100 terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof