Pakistani Hindus protest abduction of jeweller
Karachi: As Hindus across Pakistan celebrated Diwali with festivity, members of the minority community in a small town in Sindh province protested against the failure of authorities to trace a jeweller kidnapped two weeks ago.
The mood in Daharki town has been sombre and angry since Ravi Kumar was abducted by armed men while he was on his way home from Sukkur.
Despite repeated protests and sit-ins by the Hindu community, police have failed to recover Kumar, The Express Tribune reported today. The protests continued during Diwali, which was celebrated over the weekend.
Kumar, the son of Narain Das, often visits Sukkur in connection with his work. Around 16 days ago, he travelled there but never returned home.
His family lost contact with him and his car was found abandoned in Khairpur district.
Though leaders of the Hindu community immediately informed police, a case was registered only after senior officials took notice.
The protesters, led by Daharki’s Hindu Panchayat president Mukhi Namo Mal, demanded the immediate recovery of Kumar.
Namo Mal said Kumar was the only son of his parents and, since his kidnapping, his father had not uttered a word except to ask about Kumar’s whereabouts.
Namo Mal, also a close relative of Kumar, said his abduction had marred the happiness associated with Diwali.
The kidnapping of Hindu businessmen is not uncommon in Sindh.
There have also been many cases of Hindu girls being forced to convert and marry, a phenomenon that has caused concern to the community.
A majority of Pakistan`s Hindu community live in southern Sindh province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border