Pakistani jirga threatens to target Afghan militant hideouts
Peshawar: A tribal jirga in northwest Pakistan has threatened it will target militant hideouts inside Afghanistan if Afghan authorities fail to stop cross-border attacks. The warning was issued by a jirga or council attended by elders of the Mamond tribe of Bajaur Agency. The jirga was held yesterday, a day after a cross-border attack by militants on Sarkai village.
The elders threatened they would target militant hideouts inside Afghan territory if such attacks continued.
The elders assured the local administration of their full support in preventing cross-border attacks and promised to take strict action against the supporters of militants.
"We appeal to the Afghan government to redress the issue of cross-border attacks on a priority basis. They should take serious steps to stop such activities because it is affecting relations between tribesmen of border areas on both sides," the jirga said.
Hundreds of tribal elders and members of anti-Taliban militias participated in the jirga. Assistant Political Agent Sohail Ahmed Khan of Bajaur Agency and other officials of the local administration also took part in the meeting.
The jirga discussed the law and order situation in border areas, activities of the "peace committees" or anti-Taliban militias and a strategy for preventing cross-border attacks.
Addressing the gathering, the Assistant Political Agent urged elders and members of peace committees to mobilise tribesmen to protect their land against aggression by militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened