Pakistani teenage activist Malala discharged from UK hospital
London: Almost four months since she was shot in the head, Pakistani teenage rights activist Malala Yousufzai has been released on Friday from a UK hospital where she was being treated after being attacked by the Taliban.
Yusufzai had made a good recovery from a five-hour operation she underwent on her skull and ear at Birmingham`s Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Medical staff said she was well enough to be discharged as an in-patient following the surgery last weekend, Sky News reported.
The hospital said the 15-year-old will now continue her rehabilitation at her family`s temporary home in Birmingham and will visit occasionally for outpatient appointments.
It said her family had asked for the media to respect their privacy and dignity at this time.
Malala was shot in Pakistan`s conservative Swat Valley on October 9 and was air-lifted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on October 15 for further specialist treatment. She received bullet wounds just above her left eye.
Malala had earlier this month undergone two successful operations to attach a titanium plate and cochlear implant.
The procedures carried out on her included Titanium cranioplasty which is repairing of the missing area of skull with a titanium plate that has been moulded to accurately replicate the skull.
The other procedure was the Cochlear implant which is fitting a small, complex electronic device that provides a sense of sound to someone who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!