Pakistani toll in Siachen avalanche rises to 128
Islamabad: The death toll in an avalanche in the Siachen glacier region last year has risen to 128, following the recovery of three more bodies, the Pakistani military said.
The bodies of three soldiers were recovered from Gayari sector of Siachen Saturday, the Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
On April 7, 2012, at least 140 soldiers of the 6 Northern Light Infantry Battalion and a few civilians came under a huge avalanche in Gayari.
An Army spokesman said Operation Gayari was suspended in November 2012 due to winter conditions. At least 121 bodies were recovered till then.
Following the melting of snow, search for the remaining 19 missing personnel began April 15. As many as 228 military personnel and 29 heavy engineering equipment pieces like excavators and drilling machines were deployed in the operation.
The recovery efforts would continue till they find the last man, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi