PML-N leader accuses Zardari of delaying Pak election
Lahore: President Asif Ali Zardari is behind a move to delay Pakistan`s general election, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has alleged.
"The Attorney General`s support for (cleric) Tahir-ul- Qadri`s petition in the Supreme Court to reconstitute the Election Commission shows President Zardari wants to delay the general election," said Sharif, the younger brother of PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif.
The Supreme Court rejected Qadri`s petition for dissolving the the Election Commission, saying the cleric had failed to prove his eligibility to file such a petition.
The apex court also repeatedly questioned Qadri about his Canadian nationality.
"By supporting Qadri`s petition through his Attorney General, Zardari has proved that he is behind him (Qadri) to delay the polls," Sharif alleged at a gathering yesterday.
"Zardari is behind the conspiracy to delay the general election and to derail the electoral process," he added.
Sharif contended that the people would thwart Zardari`s designs.
This was the first time any senior leader of the main opposition PML-N party has directly pointed a finger at Zardari about possible moves to delay polls expected to be held in May.
Earlier, the PML-N had accused the security establishment of backing Qadri and hatching conspiracies to delay the election.
The PML-N is of the view that Qadri was `imported` from Canada by Zardari for delaying the polls.
"Since the PPP is likely to lose in the coming polls, its leadership wants to delay it," PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rashid said.
Qadri returned to Pakistan late last year after living in Canada for seven years.
He triggered a storm in political circles by launching a movement to push the federal government to carry out sweeping electoral reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon