PML-N leader accuses Zardari of delaying Pak election
Lahore: President Asif Ali Zardari is behind a move to delay Pakistan`s general election, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has alleged.
"The Attorney General`s support for (cleric) Tahir-ul- Qadri`s petition in the Supreme Court to reconstitute the Election Commission shows President Zardari wants to delay the general election," said Sharif, the younger brother of PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif.
The Supreme Court rejected Qadri`s petition for dissolving the the Election Commission, saying the cleric had failed to prove his eligibility to file such a petition.
The apex court also repeatedly questioned Qadri about his Canadian nationality.
"By supporting Qadri`s petition through his Attorney General, Zardari has proved that he is behind him (Qadri) to delay the polls," Sharif alleged at a gathering yesterday.
"Zardari is behind the conspiracy to delay the general election and to derail the electoral process," he added.
Sharif contended that the people would thwart Zardari`s designs.
This was the first time any senior leader of the main opposition PML-N party has directly pointed a finger at Zardari about possible moves to delay polls expected to be held in May.
Earlier, the PML-N had accused the security establishment of backing Qadri and hatching conspiracies to delay the election.
The PML-N is of the view that Qadri was `imported` from Canada by Zardari for delaying the polls.
"Since the PPP is likely to lose in the coming polls, its leadership wants to delay it," PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rashid said.
Qadri returned to Pakistan late last year after living in Canada for seven years.
He triggered a storm in political circles by launching a movement to push the federal government to carry out sweeping electoral reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark