PPP leader among two killed in Karachi violence
Karachi: There was no let up in political and
sectarian violence in Pakistan`s financial capital Karachi,
where a top local leader of the ruling PPP was among two
people killed on Tuesday.
Television channels showed footage of unrest throughout
the day in Lyari area of Sindh`s provincial capital, a
stronghold of the PPP, with repeated clashes between the
police and the residents.
Footage showed police firing teargas shells and using
water cannons to control mobs which pelted stones and petrol
bombs at law enforcement agencies in Pakistan`s most populous
Two people were killed and some 20 injured during the day
in clashes, rescue officials and police said.
The two people killed were identified as Ali, a member of
the People`s Aman Committee and a local Pakistan People`s
Party (PPP) leader Hassan Baloch.
Baloch was reportedly standing outside his house when he
was killed as a result of police firing.
Police said protesters threw hand grenades at security
forces while armed men took positions on buildings to fire at
Violence has continued to rock Karachi since last week in
which over 20 people have been killed and the normal life
The fresh round of clashes and violence began in Lyari
yesterday over the killing of Saqib Pathan, an activist of the
banned Aman Committee allegedly by officials of the Crime
Investigation Department (CID).
The Sindh government has ordered an inquiry into the
The violence has been linked to ethnic tensions between
the Mohajirs, represented by the Mutihida Qaumi Movement
(MQM), and Pashtun migrants from Pakistan`s northwest
affiliated to the Awami National Party (ANP). Last October,
over 100 people were killed in one week alone ethnic and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH