PPP leader among two killed in Karachi violence
Karachi: There was no let up in political and
sectarian violence in Pakistan`s financial capital Karachi,
where a top local leader of the ruling PPP was among two
people killed on Tuesday.
Television channels showed footage of unrest throughout
the day in Lyari area of Sindh`s provincial capital, a
stronghold of the PPP, with repeated clashes between the
police and the residents.
Footage showed police firing teargas shells and using
water cannons to control mobs which pelted stones and petrol
bombs at law enforcement agencies in Pakistan`s most populous
Two people were killed and some 20 injured during the day
in clashes, rescue officials and police said.
The two people killed were identified as Ali, a member of
the People`s Aman Committee and a local Pakistan People`s
Party (PPP) leader Hassan Baloch.
Baloch was reportedly standing outside his house when he
was killed as a result of police firing.
Police said protesters threw hand grenades at security
forces while armed men took positions on buildings to fire at
Violence has continued to rock Karachi since last week in
which over 20 people have been killed and the normal life
The fresh round of clashes and violence began in Lyari
yesterday over the killing of Saqib Pathan, an activist of the
banned Aman Committee allegedly by officials of the Crime
Investigation Department (CID).
The Sindh government has ordered an inquiry into the
The violence has been linked to ethnic tensions between
the Mohajirs, represented by the Mutihida Qaumi Movement
(MQM), and Pashtun migrants from Pakistan`s northwest
affiliated to the Awami National Party (ANP). Last October,
over 100 people were killed in one week alone ethnic and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest