PPP leader among two killed in Karachi violence
Karachi: There was no let up in political and
sectarian violence in Pakistan`s financial capital Karachi,
where a top local leader of the ruling PPP was among two
people killed on Tuesday.
Television channels showed footage of unrest throughout
the day in Lyari area of Sindh`s provincial capital, a
stronghold of the PPP, with repeated clashes between the
police and the residents.
Footage showed police firing teargas shells and using
water cannons to control mobs which pelted stones and petrol
bombs at law enforcement agencies in Pakistan`s most populous
Two people were killed and some 20 injured during the day
in clashes, rescue officials and police said.
The two people killed were identified as Ali, a member of
the People`s Aman Committee and a local Pakistan People`s
Party (PPP) leader Hassan Baloch.
Baloch was reportedly standing outside his house when he
was killed as a result of police firing.
Police said protesters threw hand grenades at security
forces while armed men took positions on buildings to fire at
Violence has continued to rock Karachi since last week in
which over 20 people have been killed and the normal life
The fresh round of clashes and violence began in Lyari
yesterday over the killing of Saqib Pathan, an activist of the
banned Aman Committee allegedly by officials of the Crime
Investigation Department (CID).
The Sindh government has ordered an inquiry into the
The violence has been linked to ethnic tensions between
the Mohajirs, represented by the Mutihida Qaumi Movement
(MQM), and Pashtun migrants from Pakistan`s northwest
affiliated to the Awami National Party (ANP). Last October,
over 100 people were killed in one week alone ethnic and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal