Pranab Mukherjee to receive top award in Bangladesh
Dhaka: President Pranab Mukherjee will be honoured by Bangaldesh government here on Monday in recognition of his contribution to the struggle that led to the birth of this nation 42 years ago.
The high symbolism of the award function in the backdrop of the popular upsurge at Shahbagh Square here against war criminals, is not lost on anyone.
The `Bangladesh Liberation War Honour Award` is being conferred on 77-year-old Mukherjee at a time when the trial of the Islamists for the crimes they committed during the liberation war of the nation in 1971 triggered a mass uprising against religious fundamentalism.
India has already voiced its support for the agitation, which is being primarily led by youths.
President Zillur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh will confer the award on Mukherjee at a function at the Presidential Palace tomorrow evening, which will be followed by a banquet to be hosted by Rahman.
Former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was posthumously conferred the Bangladesh Swadhinata Sanmanona award in July, 2011. Congress President Sonia Gandhi had received the award in Dhaka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Sushant Singh Rajput's Twitter commentary of MS Dhoni's innings at Mohali is a Must Read