Pranab Mukherjee to receive top award in Bangladesh
Dhaka: President Pranab Mukherjee will be honoured by Bangaldesh government here on Monday in recognition of his contribution to the struggle that led to the birth of this nation 42 years ago.
The high symbolism of the award function in the backdrop of the popular upsurge at Shahbagh Square here against war criminals, is not lost on anyone.
The `Bangladesh Liberation War Honour Award` is being conferred on 77-year-old Mukherjee at a time when the trial of the Islamists for the crimes they committed during the liberation war of the nation in 1971 triggered a mass uprising against religious fundamentalism.
India has already voiced its support for the agitation, which is being primarily led by youths.
President Zillur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh will confer the award on Mukherjee at a function at the Presidential Palace tomorrow evening, which will be followed by a banquet to be hosted by Rahman.
Former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was posthumously conferred the Bangladesh Swadhinata Sanmanona award in July, 2011. Congress President Sonia Gandhi had received the award in Dhaka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city