Pranab Mukherjee to receive top award in Bangladesh
Dhaka: President Pranab Mukherjee will be honoured by Bangaldesh government here on Monday in recognition of his contribution to the struggle that led to the birth of this nation 42 years ago.
The high symbolism of the award function in the backdrop of the popular upsurge at Shahbagh Square here against war criminals, is not lost on anyone.
The `Bangladesh Liberation War Honour Award` is being conferred on 77-year-old Mukherjee at a time when the trial of the Islamists for the crimes they committed during the liberation war of the nation in 1971 triggered a mass uprising against religious fundamentalism.
India has already voiced its support for the agitation, which is being primarily led by youths.
President Zillur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh will confer the award on Mukherjee at a function at the Presidential Palace tomorrow evening, which will be followed by a banquet to be hosted by Rahman.
Former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was posthumously conferred the Bangladesh Swadhinata Sanmanona award in July, 2011. Congress President Sonia Gandhi had received the award in Dhaka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations