Prisoners on hunger strike in Pak jail where Sarabjit died
Lahore: Over 1,400 prisoners went on hunger strike at Kot Lakhpat Jail here on Wednesday where Indian national Sarabjit Singh was killed, to protest the hostile attitude of the prison staff.
The prisoners refused to have breakfast or lunch, sources said.
Senior jail officials were trying to persuade them to end the strike.
Jail superintendent Kamran Anjum, however, denied that prisoners had gone on strike.
"Some prisoners have complained about some issues but they did not go on strike," a spokesman of the jail told PTI.
The striking prisoners complained that the staff woke them up at 3.30 AM and lined them up to go to a factory within the jail.
They further complained that the food served to them was of poor quality.
The jail became infamous after several prisoners assaulted Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh last month.
After remaining comatose for almost a week, Sarabjit succumbed to his injuries on May 1.
After the killing of Sarabjit, authorities at the jail separated hardened criminals from other prisoners.
Earlier in January, another Indian prisoner in the same jail, Chamel Singh, died after allegedly being assaulted by prison staff.
The jail has more than 30 Indian prisoners.
It could not immediately be ascertained if any of the Indian inmates had joined the hunger strike.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged