Protests in Pakistan over rigging allegations
Islamabad: Some losing candidates in Pakistan`s May 11 elections Monday alleged the polls were rigged, a media report said.
The Pakistan elections were historic as for the first time in the 65-year existence of the country they marked a transition from one civilian government to another. Nawaz Sharif is all set to be the prime minister for the third time with his Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) emerging the single-largest party.
Soon after unofficial results began to trickle in, some losing candidates levelled rigging charges.
Geo News reported that Pakistan Muslim League-N activists demonstrated outside the Jacobabad press club over allegedly rigged poll in NA-208. The protestors later staged a sit-in outside the office of the Returning Officer.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) activists too protested outside Hyderabad press club over alleged irregularities in polling.
Former Governor Ghulam Mustafa Khar’s supporters held a demonstration over rigging in Muzaffargarh NA-176, leading to a clash between the police and the demonstrators. Ghulam Mustafa Khar has refused to accept the results of NA-176.
Hafiz Inamur Rahman, a candidate for Bannu PK-71, protested at Township Chowk, while Pakistan Peoples Party candidate for PK-73 Pukhtunyar Khan along with his hundreds of supporters staged a protest at Bannu Sessions Court.
PPP candidate Senator Waqar Ahmad Khan for Dera Ismail Khan claimed it was not the people but the police and administration that snatched away victory from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO