Protests in Pakistan over rigging allegations
Islamabad: Some losing candidates in Pakistan`s May 11 elections Monday alleged the polls were rigged, a media report said.
The Pakistan elections were historic as for the first time in the 65-year existence of the country they marked a transition from one civilian government to another. Nawaz Sharif is all set to be the prime minister for the third time with his Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) emerging the single-largest party.
Soon after unofficial results began to trickle in, some losing candidates levelled rigging charges.
Geo News reported that Pakistan Muslim League-N activists demonstrated outside the Jacobabad press club over allegedly rigged poll in NA-208. The protestors later staged a sit-in outside the office of the Returning Officer.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) activists too protested outside Hyderabad press club over alleged irregularities in polling.
Former Governor Ghulam Mustafa Khar’s supporters held a demonstration over rigging in Muzaffargarh NA-176, leading to a clash between the police and the demonstrators. Ghulam Mustafa Khar has refused to accept the results of NA-176.
Hafiz Inamur Rahman, a candidate for Bannu PK-71, protested at Township Chowk, while Pakistan Peoples Party candidate for PK-73 Pukhtunyar Khan along with his hundreds of supporters staged a protest at Bannu Sessions Court.
PPP candidate Senator Waqar Ahmad Khan for Dera Ismail Khan claimed it was not the people but the police and administration that snatched away victory from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali