Raid kills insurgent behind US troop death: NATO
Kabul: The US-led international coalition in Afghanistan says a raid last week in the country`s east has killed an insurgent who was responsible for a 2012 insider attack that claimed the life of an American soldier.
NATO on Monday identified the insurgent as Mahmood. The coalition says that he and an accomplice, identified only as Rashid, died in last Wednesday`s operation in eastern Kunar province`s Ghaziabad district. No other details were provided.
NATO says Mahmood was responsible for killing a US soldier on May 11 in Kunar.
Killings by uniformed Afghans of foreign soldiers and civilians rose dramatically last year.
According to NATO, so-called insider attacks killed 61 coalition personnel in 45 incidents last year, compared to 35 killed in 21 attacks a year earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ