Seven killed in Karachi violence
Karachi: At least seven people were killed in separate incidents of violence in Pakistan`s biggest city and financial hub, while businesses were forced to close down across the city at gunpoint by unidentified gunmen.
Panic and fear spread across the metropolis as reports poured in of unidentified gunmen firing in many parts of the city, forcefully closing down businesses and blocking roads. Unknown individuals also torched vehicles and set tyres on fire in the worst affected areas.
Soon after the violence began the Mutthaida Qaumi Movement the single largest party in Karachi also appealed that businesses and public transport remain shut in the city until those responsible for the Abbas town bombings three days back which killed 48 people and left around 135 injured were arrested.
But the MQM central committee late evening held a press conference to announce they had withdrawn their call for the strike and closure of businesses. "We have withdrawn our appeal after a meeting of the central committee," MQM leader, Reza Haroon said.
He said all businesses and markets will remain open as usual and public transport will also ply on the roads. Soon after the MQM announcement petrol pumps, shops and markets started reopening in the city which has been in a state of mourning and shut down since the Abbas town bombings.
Seven people killed in incidents of violence across the city. Police said a number of gunshot injuries were also reported in the city due to the violence earlier in the day.
Rangers in Karachi, who had earlier carried out an operation in the city, arrested a number of suspects involved in the forceful closure of marketplaces.
To complicate matters and add to the panic and fear in the city, a massive fire broke out in the new Sabzi Mandi market located just outside the city on the super highway.
Police said that over 1,000 shops and stalls were burnt as due to the situation in the city fire engines took time to reach the site.
In another development, Chief of the Army Staff General Pervez Kayani visited the Corps Headquarters in Karachi on Wednesday where he was briefed about the security situation in the city.
"During his visit COAS was briefed about the security situation in Karachi," said a statement by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22