Sherry Rehman refuses to resume duties as Pak Envoy
Islamabad: Pakistan Ambassador to the US, Sherry Rehman, has refused to resume her duties following the opposition parties` demand for immediate removal of envoys appointed on political grounds ahead of the next general elections.
Sources privy to this development told The Nation that Rehman, who is in Pakistan these days, would stay back until a caretaker government was put in place, reports The Nation.
A few days ago, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader and Opposition Leader in the National Assembly Chaudhry, Nisar Ali Khan, demanded immediate removal of all the ambassadors appointed on political grounds, with a specific reference to Sherry Rehman, and Pakistan`s High Commissioner to the UK, Wajid Shamsul Hassan - both Pakistan Peoples Party leaders.
Khan was of the view that both these envoys could manipulate the overseas voters, and hence cause damage to the PML-N `s vote bank in the countries of their postings.
According to sources, Rehman, during her meetings with the president and prime minister had raised her apprehensions about the objections being raised against her by the opposition parties, and expressed her inability to resume her duties before getting some assurances from the caretaker prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- 'Akira' animator Makiko Futaki dies at 57
- Video alert - Lisa Haydon, Jacqueline Fernandez fight like Tom and Jerry!
- Discussing Apple's request for FDI rules waiver: Sitharaman
- Nirmala Sitharaman recommends raising tax holiday for start-ups
- Blasted by Twitterati, Tanmay Bhat hits back with 'Advani ke budhape' tweet; deletes it mins after posting