Siachen avalanche: Three bodies found
Islamabad: Nearly 50 days after an avalanche hit a high-altitude Pakistan Army camp in the Siachen sector, search teams have found the bodies of two of the 139 people who were buried under dozens of feet of snow.
The first body, found early this morning, was identified as that of Mohammad Hussain, one of the 128 soldiers from the Northern Light Infantry who were buried by the avalanche on April 7.
The two other bodies found later in the day are yet to be identified, the military said.
Eleven civilian employees of the army were also buried under the snow.
The bodies were found after search teams uncovered a check post for the residential barracks of the soldiers, TV news channels reported.
The bodies were shifted to a nearby military hospital.
Over the past few weeks, search teams working at the site of the avalanche at Gyari had found equipment and personal effects of the soldiers.
The search teams were also working to tackle the effects of ponds that had formed at the site.
The military has used ground penetrating radars and dug tunnels as part of its efforts to locate the soldiers buried by the avalanche.
The avalanche has raised questions in Pakistan about the troop deployment in the hazardous terrain.
Indian and Pakistani troops have been engaged in a standoff on Siachen, described as the world`s highest and coldest battlefield, since 1984.
The guns have largely been silent since late 2003, when the two countries put in place a ceasefire along the frontiers in Jammu and Kashmir, and more troops have died on the glacier due to the adverse weather than combat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price