Singapore honours defence officials in Little India riot
Singapore: Singapore is honouring 10 Home Team frontline officers with commendation medals for their quick response and efforts to control the worst riots in Little India in 40 years involving South Asian workers here last year.
Sergeant Khyrul Noor Redhza of the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), who was nearly crushed when he went under the bus to pull away the body of an Indian national, was among the recipients of National Day awards.
Assistant Superintendent of Police Jonathan Tang, who rallied his officers to provide security cover for the SCDF officers as they extricated the body of the victim, is also an awardee, The Straits Times said today.
More than 3,300 military staff, public servants, community and grassroots leaders and educators, were being felicitated for their contribution to the city state during the 49th National Day celebration today.
The riot on the night of December 8, 2013, was the worst street violence in 40 years and left 54 Police and Home Team officials injured and left 23 emergency vehicles damaged.
The fatal accident involving the Indian national and the bus caused the riot in Little India, a precinct of Indian origin shops, pubs, eateries, hotels and motels.
Some from about 400 migrant workers from South Asia gathered at the scene reacted violently to the fatal accident.
Twenty-five Indians, mostly working in the construction sector on work-permits,?were put on trial in cases related to rioting and unlawful assembly.
Singapore courts have to date dealt with 14 Indian nationals with jail terms and deportation. It deported 52 Indian nationals and one Bangladeshi national.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle
- Now, WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook
- SHOCKING: Man performing stunt on high tension wire at Mumbai's Mira road station – Watch
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16