Singapore honours defence officials in Little India riot
Singapore: Singapore is honouring 10 Home Team frontline officers with commendation medals for their quick response and efforts to control the worst riots in Little India in 40 years involving South Asian workers here last year.
Sergeant Khyrul Noor Redhza of the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), who was nearly crushed when he went under the bus to pull away the body of an Indian national, was among the recipients of National Day awards.
Assistant Superintendent of Police Jonathan Tang, who rallied his officers to provide security cover for the SCDF officers as they extricated the body of the victim, is also an awardee, The Straits Times said today.
More than 3,300 military staff, public servants, community and grassroots leaders and educators, were being felicitated for their contribution to the city state during the 49th National Day celebration today.
The riot on the night of December 8, 2013, was the worst street violence in 40 years and left 54 Police and Home Team officials injured and left 23 emergency vehicles damaged.
The fatal accident involving the Indian national and the bus caused the riot in Little India, a precinct of Indian origin shops, pubs, eateries, hotels and motels.
Some from about 400 migrant workers from South Asia gathered at the scene reacted violently to the fatal accident.
Twenty-five Indians, mostly working in the construction sector on work-permits,?were put on trial in cases related to rioting and unlawful assembly.
Singapore courts have to date dealt with 14 Indian nationals with jail terms and deportation. It deported 52 Indian nationals and one Bangladeshi national.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy