SL arrests 98 illegal immigrants bound for Oz
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy has arrested at least 98 people who were trying to illegally leave for Australia by two trawlers.
A trawler named Ann Mishal was intercepted with 77 on board in the western seas off the West coastal town of Chilaw while 21 more on board another unnamed trawler were intercepted eastern waters off the eastern coastal town of Batticaloa, the Navy said.
The arrested are to be handed over to the police for further investigations.
Sri Lanka in June launched special coordinated operations to nab illegal immigrants to Australia after recurring cases.
Faced with an influx of asylum seekers on board trawlers doing a risky sea voyage, Australia early this month said they would set up off shore centres to process asylum applications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley