`SL believes LTTE remnants continue raising funds`
Washington: Sri Lankan government, which militarily defeated the LTTE in May 2009, believes that the outfit`s sympathisers and remnants continue to indulge in fund-raising activities in many countries, according to a US State Department report on terrorism.
The LTTE had used a number of non-profit organisations for terrorist financing purposes, including the Tamil Rehabilitation Organisation, says the State Department`s country report on terrorism 2011.
"The Sri Lankan government actively searched for other financial links to the LTTE and remained suspicious of non-governmental organisations, fearing they would be used by the LTTE," it said.
The annual report to the US Congress provides information about terrorist incidents, state sponsors of terrorism, foreign terrorist organisations and more.
It said the government of Sri Lanka remained concerned that the LTTE`s international network of financial support still functions; most counter-terrorism activities undertaken by the government targeted possible LTTE finances.
The possible resurgence of Tamil militant groups in Sri Lanka was not an immediate concern.
But the Sri Lankan government has used the fear of possible re-emergence of the LTTE to maintain a strong military presence and role in the post-conflict areas, "although the military`s continued heavy presence in the north feeds Tamil resentment," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report