SLMC to oppose abolition of provincial councils system
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main Muslim party, an ally in ruling coaltion, has resolved to oppose the abolition of a constitutional amendment that provides for devolution of power to the Tamil dominated northern and eastern.
The opposition to the move to abolish the thirteenth amendment was one of the eight resolutions passed at the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress` 24th delegates sessions held here yesterday, the party spokesman said today.
"....Shall oppose any attempt to weaken and/or sabotage the existing provincial councils system," the text of the resolution seen by PTI stated.
In the recent months President Mahinda Rajapaksa has come under pressure from his Sinhala majority nationalists in his coalition to abolish the thirteenth amendment which was adopted in 1987.
The constitutional amendment was part of the Indian intervention to broker ethnic harmony in Sri Lanks.
"The SLMC has always believed the provincial council system to be a constructive step towards ensuring self government", the resolution adds.
The SLMC is currently an ally of Rajapaksa and its leader Rauff Hakeem is the justice minister.
The party also urges the government to formulate a national policy for resettlement of the internally displaced people, particularly in relation to the ethnically cleansed Muslims from Jaffna by the LTTE in 1990.
The party also demanded the full implementation of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly