Sri Lanka monk dies after self-immolation
Colombo: A Buddhist monk, who set himself on fire to protest the slaughter of cattle, has succumbed to burn injuries, becoming the first Sri Lankan monk to self-immolate.
Bowatte Indraratana, 30, died at the National Hospital in Colombo where he was admitted yesterday after his self- immolation bid in the central town of Kandy, the host city of Buddhist Temple of Tooth which carries Buddha`s tooth relic.
Indraratana died of severe burns, police said today.
The monk had been calling for a stop to cattle slaughter in Kandy.
He was a former member of the JHU or the Heritage Party and a local councillor. He was dismissed from JHU on disciplinary grounds after which he became a member of the Buddhist nationalist group Sihala Ravaya.
The police said they were on the look out for those who may have helped the monk in his self immolation attempt.
Sri Lankan Prime Minister D M Jayaratne condemned the incident yesterday. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her