Sri Lanka monk dies after self-immolation
Colombo: A Buddhist monk, who set himself on fire to protest the slaughter of cattle, has succumbed to burn injuries, becoming the first Sri Lankan monk to self-immolate.
Bowatte Indraratana, 30, died at the National Hospital in Colombo where he was admitted yesterday after his self- immolation bid in the central town of Kandy, the host city of Buddhist Temple of Tooth which carries Buddha`s tooth relic.
Indraratana died of severe burns, police said today.
The monk had been calling for a stop to cattle slaughter in Kandy.
He was a former member of the JHU or the Heritage Party and a local councillor. He was dismissed from JHU on disciplinary grounds after which he became a member of the Buddhist nationalist group Sihala Ravaya.
The police said they were on the look out for those who may have helped the monk in his self immolation attempt.
Sri Lankan Prime Minister D M Jayaratne condemned the incident yesterday. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday