Sri Lanka to close last IDP camp
Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities Sunday said the Menik Farm that once housed nearly 300,000 people displaced during the last phase of the LTTE war will be closed Monday.
With the closure of the camp in the northern district of Vavuniya, there will be no more IDP camps in the country, a top military official said.
"There won`t be any more IDP camps in Sri Lanka from tomorrow," said Major General Boniface Perera, the northern military commander.
Some 361 families or 1186 people who were left to be resettled in the camp would be rehabilitated in the Mullaithivu district.
"The biggest problem we faced in resettling people was the time taken to rid the area of land mines," Perera said.
He said 295,873 people were originally housed at Menik Farm. They have been resettled from time to time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter