Sri Lanka to close last IDP camp
Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities Sunday said the Menik Farm that once housed nearly 300,000 people displaced during the last phase of the LTTE war will be closed Monday.
With the closure of the camp in the northern district of Vavuniya, there will be no more IDP camps in the country, a top military official said.
"There won`t be any more IDP camps in Sri Lanka from tomorrow," said Major General Boniface Perera, the northern military commander.
Some 361 families or 1186 people who were left to be resettled in the camp would be rehabilitated in the Mullaithivu district.
"The biggest problem we faced in resettling people was the time taken to rid the area of land mines," Perera said.
He said 295,873 people were originally housed at Menik Farm. They have been resettled from time to time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya