Sri Lankan Navy arrests suspected illegal immigrants
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Monday nabbed at least 65 suspected illegal immigrants to Australia, who had left for the voyages from a Kerala port.
Naval spokesperson Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said they were arrested off the southern coast of Hikkaduwa and were taken to the port in Galle where they were handed over to the police`s Terrorism Investigation Division.
A boat carrying them had left the Kochi port, he said.
The Kochi police last month arrested Sri Lankan natives when they were about to board a vessel bound for Australia.
The risky voyages to Australia carrying Sri Lankan asylum seekers happen often despite deterrent action jointly launched by Sri Lankan and Australian authorities.
Australia since August had sent back over 1000 Sri Lankan illegal immigrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'