Sri Lankan Navy arrests suspected illegal immigrants
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Monday nabbed at least 65 suspected illegal immigrants to Australia, who had left for the voyages from a Kerala port.
Naval spokesperson Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said they were arrested off the southern coast of Hikkaduwa and were taken to the port in Galle where they were handed over to the police`s Terrorism Investigation Division.
A boat carrying them had left the Kochi port, he said.
The Kochi police last month arrested Sri Lankan natives when they were about to board a vessel bound for Australia.
The risky voyages to Australia carrying Sri Lankan asylum seekers happen often despite deterrent action jointly launched by Sri Lankan and Australian authorities.
Australia since August had sent back over 1000 Sri Lankan illegal immigrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you