Sri Lankan Navy arrests suspected illegal immigrants
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Monday nabbed at least 65 suspected illegal immigrants to Australia, who had left for the voyages from a Kerala port.
Naval spokesperson Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said they were arrested off the southern coast of Hikkaduwa and were taken to the port in Galle where they were handed over to the police`s Terrorism Investigation Division.
A boat carrying them had left the Kochi port, he said.
The Kochi police last month arrested Sri Lankan natives when they were about to board a vessel bound for Australia.
The risky voyages to Australia carrying Sri Lankan asylum seekers happen often despite deterrent action jointly launched by Sri Lankan and Australian authorities.
Australia since August had sent back over 1000 Sri Lankan illegal immigrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble