Sri Lankan Navy arrests suspected illegal immigrants
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Monday nabbed at least 65 suspected illegal immigrants to Australia, who had left for the voyages from a Kerala port.
Naval spokesperson Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said they were arrested off the southern coast of Hikkaduwa and were taken to the port in Galle where they were handed over to the police`s Terrorism Investigation Division.
A boat carrying them had left the Kochi port, he said.
The Kochi police last month arrested Sri Lankan natives when they were about to board a vessel bound for Australia.
The risky voyages to Australia carrying Sri Lankan asylum seekers happen often despite deterrent action jointly launched by Sri Lankan and Australian authorities.
Australia since August had sent back over 1000 Sri Lankan illegal immigrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic