Sri Lankan police probe death threat to lawyer
Colombo: The Sri Lankan police on Thursday launched a probe into an allegation by a lawyer activist, who opposed the impeachment of the country`s first woman chief justice, that he had received death threat.
JC Weliamuna, a member of the Lawyers` Collective a group which backed Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake, had complained of a written death threat.
"Weliamuna has lodged a written complaint at the Kohuwela police (a Colombo suburban police). Investigation is underway," Prishantha Jayakodi, the police spokesperson and senior superintendent, told reporters.
Weliamuna, a leading civil society activist and a lawyer, was at the forefront of a campaign which backed Bandaranayake against the government move to sack her.
Lawyers staged country wide protests against the impeachment, calling it an attack against judicial independence.
The Lawyers` Collective in a release after Bandaranayake was sacked asserted that she remained the top judge. They claimed that she had been sacked through illegal procedure so termed by the Supreme and Appeal Courts.
Bandaranayake in her parting address claimed that she was still the legally appointed chief justice of Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi