Sri Lankan police probe death threat to lawyer
Colombo: The Sri Lankan police on Thursday launched a probe into an allegation by a lawyer activist, who opposed the impeachment of the country`s first woman chief justice, that he had received death threat.
JC Weliamuna, a member of the Lawyers` Collective a group which backed Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake, had complained of a written death threat.
"Weliamuna has lodged a written complaint at the Kohuwela police (a Colombo suburban police). Investigation is underway," Prishantha Jayakodi, the police spokesperson and senior superintendent, told reporters.
Weliamuna, a leading civil society activist and a lawyer, was at the forefront of a campaign which backed Bandaranayake against the government move to sack her.
Lawyers staged country wide protests against the impeachment, calling it an attack against judicial independence.
The Lawyers` Collective in a release after Bandaranayake was sacked asserted that she remained the top judge. They claimed that she had been sacked through illegal procedure so termed by the Supreme and Appeal Courts.
Bandaranayake in her parting address claimed that she was still the legally appointed chief justice of Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage