Stay Feb 25 by-poll: Imran Khan asks Supreme Court
Islamabad: Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran
Khan has approached the Supreme Court for staying by-elections
to the national and provincial assemblies scheduled for
February 25 till the Election Commission issues new voters`
In an application filed yesterday, Khan asked the Supreme
Court to direct the Election Commission to suspend its January
27 notification announcing the schedule for the by-polls.
The by-elections are being held for six seats of the
National Assembly or lower house of Parliament and four seats
of the assemblies of Punjab, Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
Khan claimed the issuance of a notification for polls in
the absence of error-free voters` lists amounted to
disobedience of the apex court`s directive of January 19 to
postpone by-elections until new and verified rolls are
The ruling had earlier triggered a row between the Supreme
Court and Chief Election Commissioner Hamid Ali Mirza, who
described the order as unconstitutional.
The apex court countered that elections held on unverified
voter lists could not be described as just, fair and in
accordance with the law.
The apex court further said it was obligated to ensure
that all state institutions, including constitutional offices
and authorities, functioned in line with the spirit of law and
In a separate petition, television anchor Mubasher Lucman
has asked the apex court to order the Election Commission not
to hold elections to 54 seats of the 104-member Senate or
upper house of parliament on March 2.
Lucman alleged that around 70 lawmakers did not hold valid
educational degrees but would be voting to elect new Senators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof