Suicide bomber targets police on edge of Kabul: Officials
Kabul: A suicide bomber targeted an Afghan police checkpost on the outskirts of Kabul, killing one person and wounding two others on the first Friday of the fasting month of Ramadan, police said.
The attack came on the third day of the Muslim holy month in the war-torn country, where Taliban-led insurgents are fighting against the Western-backed government.
"This morning, a suicide bomber wearing a suicide vest detonated his explosives outside the city of Kabul," Kabul police chief, Mohammad Ayoub Salangi told a news agency.
"The bomber was in a passenger Toyota sedan. Police stopped the vehicle and wanted to search everyone. The bomber ran away and blew himself up. As a result of the explosion, one passenger was killed and two others wounded," Salangi said.
Kabul crime branch chief, General Mohammad Zahir, said the attack happened in Mir Bacha Kot district, on the outskirts of Kabul. Two people were wounded, he said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the Taliban last Friday vowed to increase their attacks during Ramadan. The insurgents have stepped up attacks on Afghan forces since they took responsibility for national security last month.
Some 100,000 US-led NATO troops in Afghanistan are preparing to withdraw from the country by the end of next year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels