Suicide bombing near Indian consulate in Jalalabad, 9 dead
Zee Media Bureau
Kabul: A car laden with explosives blew up outside the Indian consulate in Afghanistan on Saturday, killing nine people, including eight children and leaving 22 others wounded.
The suicide bombing was followed by gunfire near consulate in the city of Jalalabad.
The Ministry of External Affairs has said that all officials inside the consulate are safe.
Nangarhar province Police Chief Gen Sharif Amin said the car bomb was set off near a mosque leading to the Indian consulate in the provincial capital Jalalabad.
Afghan security forces sealed off the scene and several ambulances rushed to the site.
"Explosion in front of India`s Consulate in Jalalabad. MEA in touch with officials. All officials are safe," tweeted Syed Akbaruddin, official spokesperson, MEA in New Delhi.
The blast sent a plume of grey smoke above the scene, and damaged several houses and shops nearby.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Indian diplomatic missions have been targets of previous attacks in Afghanistan.
The eastern border province of Nangarhar, and its capital Jalalabad, have long been a hotbed of insurgent activity.
On Friday, a five-hour battle between Afghan security forces and Taliban fighters in the province`s Shirzad district killed dozens of Afghan police and insurgents, officials said.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27