Taliban opens office in Qatar for Afghan peace talks
Manama: Islamic fundamentalist group Taliban has been welcomed by the State of Qatar to open an office in the capital, Doha, for the purpose of holding talks to achieve peace and security in Afghanistan.
Qatar`s welcoming stance, as expressed by a Qatari foreign ministry spokesperson, came on the heels of a statement released by the White House on talks between US President Barack Obama and his Afghani counterpart Hamid Karzai in Washington, the Gulf News reports.
According to the statement, Obama and Karzai said that they would support an office in Doha for the purpose of negotiations between the High Peace Council and the authorised representatives of the Taliban.
Stressing the importance of speeding Afghan peace process through the High Peace Council, the two presidents insisted that the outcomes of peace and reconciliation must respect any achievement made by Afghanistan. This included protecting the constitutional rights of all Afghan citizens, the statement added.
The statement underlined the need for Taliban and other extremist groups to end violence and cut off ties with al Qaeda and accept the constitution of Afghanistan, as a part of the peacekeeping process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'