Tamil poet arrested in Lanka for visa violation
Colombo: Norwegian Tamil poet and actor VIS Jeyapalan has been arrested in Sri Lanka for violating visa regulations.
Jaffna-born Jeyapalan,79, was arrested yesterday at Mankulam in the country`s north, police spokesman Ajith Rohana said.
Rohana said Oslo-based Jeyapalan, who was in the country on a tourist visa, has been arrested for holding seminars in Jaffna.
"He was reported to have taken part in gatherings aimed at causing communal unrest," Rohana said.
The police spokesman said the Tamils living outside the country can visit any place in the island but they cannot be allowed to disrupt the peace and normalcy in the country.
Jeyapalan, who is a popular Sri Lankan Tamil poet, also acted in several Indian movies and he was awarded National Award for his acting in Tamil movie Aadukalam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16