Tamil poet arrested in Lanka for visa violation
Colombo: Norwegian Tamil poet and actor VIS Jeyapalan has been arrested in Sri Lanka for violating visa regulations.
Jaffna-born Jeyapalan,79, was arrested yesterday at Mankulam in the country`s north, police spokesman Ajith Rohana said.
Rohana said Oslo-based Jeyapalan, who was in the country on a tourist visa, has been arrested for holding seminars in Jaffna.
"He was reported to have taken part in gatherings aimed at causing communal unrest," Rohana said.
The police spokesman said the Tamils living outside the country can visit any place in the island but they cannot be allowed to disrupt the peace and normalcy in the country.
Jeyapalan, who is a popular Sri Lankan Tamil poet, also acted in several Indian movies and he was awarded National Award for his acting in Tamil movie Aadukalam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city