Three British soldiers killed in Afghanistan: MOD
Beijing: Three British soldiers were killed by a road side bomb during patrol in Afghanistan, Britain `s Ministry of Defense (MOD) said on Wednesday.
Their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device whilst on a routine patrol in Nahr-e Saraj district, Helmand province on Tuesday, MOD said in a statement.
They received immediate medical attention and were evacuated by air to the Military Hospital at Camp Bastion but could not be saved, the statement said.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Major Richard Morgan, said, "It is with deep sadness that I must confirm that three soldiers from The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, have died after their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province."
The soldiers` next of kin have been informed and have requested the customary period of grace before further details are released.
"Security in Helmand, where most UK forces are based, is steadily improving with Afghan forces already responsible for the bulk of the province.
But the environment in which our troops operate remains risky and dangerous, including the threat of improvised explosive devices and insurgent attack," said a spokesman of the MOD.
"We will continue to do all we can to minimize these risks but they can never be removed entirely," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone